Did you know that we provide our clients with free-of-charge VPS (Virtual Private Server)? Read on to learn how you can use it to support your trading at Exness.
- What is a VPS?
- How to get your Exness VPS
- How to connect to your Exness VPS
- How to install Expert Advisors
- How to change your VPS password
- How to keep your VPS secure
A Virtual Private Server (VPS) is a remote terminal which is ideal for traders who want to automate their trading, so it runs like clockwork.
Benefit from reduced latency and no downtime, as our VPS is unaffected by power cuts or computer crashes. So, even when your terminal is closed, our VPS will keep trading for you.
Why traders use Exness’ VPS
Your VPS is located close to our main trading servers in Amsterdam. This is important as we can considerably improve the quality and speed of your connection, which significantly reduces latency between the terminal and the server.
Latency is the time it takes for your request to open or close a position to be executed. For algorithmic traders who use Expert Advisors and scripts, the lower the latency, the better. Lower latency allows your automated strategies to react faster to potential trading opportunities and market events than other market participants.
So, you can see how critical a VPS is if you want to automate your strategies.
You can use your own VPS to trade on our servers, however we cannot guarantee the connection quality, that’s why we encourage you to apply for the Exness VPS.
To apply for Exness VPS, get in touch with our Support Team and provide us with your account number and secret word.
To qualify for our free VPS, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must have deposited USD 500 or more (or equivalent in your account currency)
- You must have USD 100 Free Margin on your account for the duration of the application period
When we’ve processed your request, you’ll receive access to your VPS within 5 working days—we’ll send you an email with all the details you need.
If the account that your VPS is connected to is idle (i.e. shows no trading activity) for 14 consecutive days, you’ll receive a suspension notification via email. If there is still no trading activity after an additional 2 days, we will suspend your VPS service.
Have you received an email from us with your VPS credentials? If you have, you can now connect to the Exness VPS hosting on Windows and MacOS. Read on to learn how.
Connect to VPS on Windows:
- Click Start → All Programs → Accessories → Remote Desktop Connection.
- Enter the IP address we sent to you via email.
- Select Parameters and go to the Connect tab. Then in the If server authentication fails dropdown menu, select Connect and don't warn me.
- In Settings (in order to be able to import Expert Advisors from your own computer), select the Local Resources tab and under Local devices and resources click More.
- Put a checkmark next to the local disk where your EA is saved on your computer. This drive will now be available inside your VPS. Click OK.
When you connect a local disk, it is only available to you—the Exness Team cannot access or view the local disks that you connect to your VPS.
- Exit Parameters and click Connect.
- You will be asked to enter your username and password to connect to the remote desktop. By default your current Windows 7 account will appear. Click Switch user and enter the VPS username and password you received by email. Then click OK.
That’s it! You’ll see a window with a remote desktop on the Exness VPS server with 3 preinstalled MetaTrader 4 terminals and 2 MetaTrader 5 terminals.
To connect to VPS on macOS:
- Download and install the Microsoft Remote Desktop app from the App Store.
- Launch the Microsoft Remote Desktop app.
- Click New to add a new connection.
- Fill in the fields:
- Connection name: the name of the connection, for example "VPS"
- PC name: the IP address that we sent via email
- User name: the username that we sent via email
- Password: the password that we sent via email
- Close the window.
- Choose the connection you have added and click Start.
If the information you entered is correct, you will see a window with a remote desktop on the Exness VPS server with 3 preinstalled MetaTrader 4 terminals and 2 MetaTrader 5 terminals.
If you enter your information incorrectly several times, your IP address will be frozen and you will be unable to log in to your VPS. Please wait an hour before trying to log in again.
To install an Expert Advisor:
- Log in to your account on the VPS server.
If you previously configured the display of local disks in your account, proceed to Step 2. If not, configure your settings as explained in Steps 4 and 5 here.
- To install an Expert Advisor on your remote desktop, click Start → Computer.
- Under Other, open your local disk, which looks like this: on .
- Launch MetaTrader 4.
- Click File → Open Data Directory.
- Open the MQL4 folder and paste the files for experts, scripts, and indicators into the corresponding folders (Experts, Scripts, Indicators).
- Restart MetaTrader 4.
If your Expert Advisor is a .exe file, save it to your remote desktop and get in touch with our Support Team.
To change the password you use to access your remote desktop:
- Log in to your account on the VPS server.
- Click Start, then choose Setting.
- Select Accounts.
- Select Sign in options.
- Select Change below password.
- Enter the current password and click Next.
- Enter the new password and password hint. Click Next.
- The password will be changed once you click on Finish.
Once you change your password, the Exness Team will no longer be able to recover the password for you. From this moment on, you alone control access to your VPS desktop.
Please note that if you lose your VPS password, you will lose access to all the data on your VPS desktop. Please keep this password in a safe place that only you have access to.
Please remember that you should never share your Exness VPS username and password with anyone. Allowing others to access your VPS hosting puts your account and funds at risk.